Hello my fellow Haunted Foodies!
I hope all of you are enjoying your holidays and all the marvelous food that comes with it!
In honor of Haunted Kitchens moving forward, I wanted to share one of my family’s favorite holiday recipes from my Mom’s Haunted Kitchen.
Rum Cream Pie!
This creamy dessert (although, I have eaten this for breakfast in the past… the past may or may not include yesterday… remember this is a judgement free zone!) is so easy to make (5 ingredients for the filling!) and is fast when you need something impressive without a lot of elbow grease.
With only 1/3 cup of rum my Mom allowed us, once we hit a certain age, to have some during the holidays. My Mom used to bake professionally and even with all the sweet temptations she knows how to make to perfection, this sinfully rummy goodness continues to be the most requested as the year comes to an end. I wonder if the alcohol has something to do with that?
As an adult I fully appreciate the melody of flavors happening here. You have the lovely graham cracker crust with the slight salt from melted butter and a bit of cinnamon to compliment the rum. The filling is a silky blend of whipped cream, sugar, and a luscious dark rum which really makes this pie the crowd-pleaser it is.
The best part about this pie is most people have never tasted one or even know that it’s in our lovely existence! So you’re not only blowing their tastebuds out of the water, you’re also blowing their minds! Maybe that’s a bit too dramatic, but I’m really passionate about this pie.
Give it a try this New Years Eve and be sure to tag @hauntedkitchens #hauntedkitchens with your photos!
Don’t forget, starting January 2019 the last Wednesday of every month is a NEW Haunted Kitchens edition!
Thank you all for your continued support! Here’s to the last few days of 2018, a new year, and a new pie recipe to share with friends!
Rum Cream Pie~ Makes one 9-inch pie
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (we use Knox brand)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- chocolate bar for shaving
- graham cracker crust (below)
Directions ~ Filling:
- Soften gelatin in a 1/2 cup of cold water
- Place over low heat. Keep on heat until it almost starts to boil, stirring the gelatin to dissolve
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until very light
- Stir gelatin into egg mixture. Allow the mixture to sit until cool.
- Gradually add the rum, beating constantly
- Whip cream into soft peaks and fold into the gelatin mixture
- Cool until mixture starts to set then spoon into crumb crust
- Let the pie chill in the refrigerator (my Mom will sometimes let it firm in the freezer if she’s in a hurry) until it’s firm enough to slice.
- Before serving, take a vegetable peeler to a chocolate bar peeling away curls of chocolate to top the pie.
Ingredients ~ Pie Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups graham crackers crust
- 1/2 butter, melted
- 2 T sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon
Directions ~ Pie Crust:
- Combine all ingredients and press into pie pan
- Chill to set before adding your filling