Being label conscious these days isn’t easy. As I’ve become more aware of what goes into some store-bought food I’ve sadly had to cut out a lot of my family’s favorites for health reasons. However, this just means we get to make many of these foods ourselves, which for a kitchen nerd like me, makes everyday feel like Christmas (I know, super cheesy) here in my little haunted house.
I can’t even remember the last time I bought prepared whipped cream. It’s one of the easiest recipes you can make at home. Just three ingredients, takes about 10 minutes to whip up, and the result is always sure to win you smiles.
This recipe comes from my Mom. It has just the right amount of sweetness, is fluffy, and is better than anything you could get from a can. Sometimes I up the vanilla to a full teaspoon, but play with it and see what you like best.
Easy Whipped Cream– Makes 2 cups
Metal mixing bowl
Whisk or hand mixer
1 C. heavy whipping cream
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
- Place metal mixing bowl and whisk/beaters in freezer for 10-15 minutes. Having a cold bowl will make it easier to whip the cream and it will keep its form better.
- Once the metal bowl and whisk/beaters are chilled take it out of the freezer. Pour in the heavy whipping cream
- Add the sugar and vanilla *Some recipes will tell you to wait to add the sugar and vanilla after whipping the cream a bit. I’ve never noticed a difference in doing this so in our house we add it in here.
- Take your whisk and whip it. Whip it good *I use my Cuisinart Hand Blender because it gets me to whipped cream happiness faster than hand whipping.
- Whip to desired stiffness. I personally like firm peaks (the cream should stand straight up when the whisk is lifted out of the bowl and cling tightly to your whisk/beaters).
- Enjoy that whipped cream!
Variation: Chocolate Whipped Cream ~ Add 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder and an extra 1 T. of sugar (for a total of 3 T). Follow the recipe as described above.
Happy Holidays from Haunted Kitchens! Look for a new editions of Haunted Kitchens in the New Year!